Friday, January 27, 2006

My teachers

My teachers

To continue with the Sanskrit adage, “Acharya Devo Bhava” – meaning “Revere your teacher as God”.


Teachers mould a person. They provide not just education but a great deal of inspiration and motivation to a child. It is also true that some of them can hurt a child’s sensitive feelings. To be honest, I detested some of my school teachers because they imposed harsh punishments on erring students. Many students faced the humiliation of caning, slapping or standing on top of the bench for failure to complete homework or doing some mischief in the class. Such punishments are unthinkable these days. However, looking back, I think the teachers meant well for the students. They really wanted to discipline them as they do in the armed forces to make good soldiers.


Some of my teachers were the best. They laid a solid foundation for my higher education in the colleges. I can vividly recall how my physics teacher taught me the fundamentals related to light, sound and motion. Perhaps, his teachings inspired me in later years to take up studies in engineering. History, a subject that I did not fancy much, was made lively with lots of humorous talk by my teacher from Karnataka. To facilitate easy remembrance, he had very innovatively composed a musical poem to describe the sequence and chronology of British viceroys in
India starting with Lord Cornwallis.


My Sanskrit teacher (he hid his tuft under a cap) struggled to drum the grammar into my thick skull. If I am able to read the ‘Devanagari’ script and understand many of the Sanskrit terms today, the credit goes entirely to him.


It’s a pity that I do not have even a single photograph of any of my teachers. It does not matter. I can visualize them in my mind and pay my respects.


Some of you may be wondering if I am writing my autobiography. Well, I am just setting a background of older years to progressively lead into the future.


Au revoir- as they say in French!

1 comment:

aaa said...

Good to see that you are blogging all your golden memories athimber.

I have mixed feeling and opinions about my teachers. I can vouch for the fact that only some of them meant for my good, many didnt.

This might sound like a surmise, but it is a painful fact. I have had some teachers tell me that you scored lesser coz you over studied your syllabus. Such are todays gurus!

one or two have been awfully cruel if i may say so. well I dont want to whine now and bore you. I envy those of you who had teacehrs who meant good for you from the bottom of their heart.